Tuesday, November 6, 2012

POTUS

I had big plans this morning. I got to the poll 4 minutes after it opened. The lot was full and I had Elijah with me, so I went to Starbucks instead - not because I didn't want to vote, but because standing in a long line with a pajama'ed 3-year-old is maybe one of my biggest fears. After I drove to Starbucks, stood in line, then waited for my coffee and drove home, I realized some things.

1. I could have been finished voting long before the time it took me to drive, wait, wait, drive. However, I didn't have to deal with a squirmy, impatient, inquisitive kid as much. Which is totally selfish and I'm ashamed of myself.

2. Peppermint mochas are slightly more important to me than who the President is.

3. I think voting when you are uninformed is more detrimental than abstaining.

I am totally undecided (read: conflicted) on president and totally ignorant on state and local. An adolescent part of me feels like my vote won't matter because of the electoral college anyway.

I'm sure I'll vote eventually. Elijah's in school and my polling place is literally 5 minutes away. But I'm still thinking about why and who and whether.

Just out of curiosity, if there's anyone out there, give me your top three reasons I should vote today. And "What if everyone said that?" can't be one of them.

8 comments:

  1. There are people dying in the Middle East at this very moment in hopes that they will be able to one day stand in a long line to vote for someone who won't kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poop, I forgot the other two. Those are tougher...
    2. Because communication is always important, as is your opinion, in any case. Even when voting.
    3. You could always take Elijah later and let him push the button. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Amen.
      2. Amen.
      3. That's exactly what I did, but he didn't really care. I was kinda surprised. He just kept asking when we could go home.

      Delete
  3. Sheena's first one is good, and the fact that women couldn't always vote, and communication. I can't say that I put a lot of stock in the process, but I did participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't offer any reasons because I have yet to find a person I am comfortable supporting. Issues, on the other hand, I can get behind. I don't know if your ballot included issues to consider, but I like voting the issues. This is all easy for me to say because we can all mail in or drop off our ballots here in CO, so no lines for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I replied to this days ago, but it must have disappeared. We had just the president, one Senate seat, and two rep. seats, although one didn't count because he was running unopposed. I abstained from those races because I didn't feel comfortable voting blind. I kind of wish there had been an issue to vote about.

      I ran into your parents after church on Sunday. I introduced myself and said hello, and I felt like an adult because it's the first time I've ever done that to someone I knew would know me but wouldn't recognize me on seeing me. It was nice. :) And they seemed to be doing well. Your mom was excited that they had seen you recently.

      Delete
  5. I'm most glad you put up pictures of the boys. Best of all, Elijah has a shirt with Boba Fett on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shirt was an impulse Gap purchase. I thought it was on sale, but when I realized it wasn't I hated to put it back. Except maybe I should've because Michael keeps calling it "BOB-ah" Fett instead of pronouncing it like I always have, which is "BO-buh."

      Delete